본문 바로가기
SMART ANYANG

The Official Website of
ANYANG City Hall

Anyang

  1. Anyang
  2. History

History

HISTORY
  • Oct. 2004 (present)
    • 14 -dongs in Manan-gu
    • 17 -dongs in Dongan-gu
  • Dec. 29, 2000
    Adjusted boundaries between Beopjeong-dong and Hangjeong-dong
    • Part of Anyang-7-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-1-dong
    • Part of Bakdal-7-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Seoksu-3-dong
  • Jan. 1, 1997
    Modified the boundaries of Hangjeong-dong
    • Part of Anyang-1-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-2-dong
    • Part of Anyang-2-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Seoksu-1-dong and
      Bisan-1-dong
    • Part of Bisan-2-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Bisan-3-dong
    • Part of Pyeongchon-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Gwiin-dong
  • Jan. 1, 1996
    Modified the boundaries of Beopjeong-dong
    • Modified the boundaries of Beopjeong-dong
    • Part of Gwanyang-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Bisan-dong
    • Part of Gwanyang-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Pyeongchon-dong
    Modified the boundaries of Hangjeong-dong
    • Part of Anyang-2-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-3-dong
    • Part of Anyang-5-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-1-dong
    • Part of Anyang-5-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-4-dong
    • Part of Galsan-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Sinchon-dong
  • Apr. 20, 1995
    Modified the boundaries between cities

    Part of Sanbon-dong in Gunpo-si incorporated into Anyang-dong, Manan-gu, Anyang-si

  • Dec. 26, 1994
    Modified the boundaries of Beopjeong-dong
    • Part of Anyang-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Bakdal-dong
    • Part of Bakdal-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Anyang-dong
    • Part of Pyeongchon-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Hogye-dong
  • Dec. 22, 1994
    Modified part of administrative divisions (municipal)
    • Part of Anyang-dong in Manan-gu incorporated into Gunpo-si
    • Part of Hogye-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Gunpo-si
    • Part of Pyeongchon-dong in Dongan-gu incorporated into Uiwang-si
    • Part of Sanbon-dong in Gunpo-si divided into Anyang-dong, Manan-gu, Anyang-si
  • Jul. 1, 1994
    • Anyang-3-dong in Manan-gu divided into Anyang-3-dong and Anyang-9-dong
    • Bakdal-dong in Manan-gu divided into Bakdal-1-dong and Bakdal-2-dong
    • Pyeongandong in Dongan-gu divided into Pyeongan-dong and Gwiin-dong
    • A total of 31 administrative gong divided
  • May 20, 1993
    • Buheung-dong divided into Buheung-dong and Dalan-dong
    • Hogye-1-dong divided into Hogye-1-dong and Galsan-dong (28 -dongs)
  • Jan. 15, 1993
    • Gwanyang-2-dong divided into Gwanyang-2-dong and Burim-dong
    • Pyeongchon-dong divided into Pyeongchon-dong and Pyeongan-dong
    • Beomgye-dong divided into Sinchon-dong and Haengjeong-dong (26 -dongs)
  • Oct. 1, 1992

    Closed branches in Manan and Dongan, and established Manan-gu and Dongan-gu offices

  • May 7, 1992
    • Bisan-2-dong divided into Bisan-2-dong and Buheung-dong
    • Hogye-2-dong divided into Hogye-2-dong and Beomgye-dong (23 -dongs)
  • May 21, 1990
    • Bisan-2-dong divided into Bisan-2-dong and Bisan-3-dong
    • Gwanyang-dong divided into Gwanyang-1-dong and Gwanyang-2-dong (21 -dongs)
  • Jan. 1, 1990

    Seoksu-2-dong divided into Seoksu-2-dong and Seoksu-3-dong (19 -dongs)

  • Jan. 1, 1987

    Part of Soha-dong in Gwangmyeong-si incorporated into Seoksu-2-dong

  • Nov. 5, 1985
    • Anyang-3-dong in Manan-gu divided into Anyang-6-dong and Anyang-8-dong
    • Hogye-1-dong divided into Hogye-1-dong and Hogye-3-dong (18 -dongs)
  • Oct. 1, 1983

    Hogye-dong divided into Hogye-1-dong and Hogye-2-dong (16 -dongs)

  • Sep. 1, 1982

    Bisan-dong divided into Bisan-1-dong and Bisan-2-dong (15 -dongs)

  • May 1, 1979
    • Anyang-6-dong in Manan-gu divided into Anyang-6-dong and Anyang-7-dong
    • Seoksu-dong divided into Seoksu-1-dong and Seoksu-2-dong (14 -dongs)
  • Jul. 1, 1973

    Anyang-eup promoted to Anyang-si

  • Jan. 1, 1963

    Sinanyang-ri in Dong-myeon and Bakdal-ri in Seo-myeon incorporated into Anyang-eup

  • Aug. 14, 1949

    Anyang-myeon promoted to Anyang-eup

  • Oct. 1, 1941

    Seoi-myeon renamed as Anyang-myeon

  • Apr. 1, 1914

    With Gwacheon-gun, Siheung-gun, and Ansan-gun integrated, Anyang becomes part of Seoi-myeon, Siheung-gun

  • 1895
    (32nd year under King Gojong’s reign in Joseon)

    Gwacheon-gun (Siheung-gun)

  • 1414
    (14th year under King Taejong’s reign in Joseon)

    Renamed as Gwacheon-hyeon

  • 1413
    (King Taejong’s reign in Joseon)

    Gwacheon-hyeon (Geumju-hyeon → Geumcheon-hyeon)

  • 940
    (23rd year under King Taejo's reign in Goryeo)

    Gwaju (Gokyang-hyeon → Geumju-hyeon)

  • 757
    (16th year under King Gyeongdeok in Silla)

    Ingbeolno-hyeon → Gokyang-hyeon

  • 475
    (6th year under King Jangsu in Goguryeo)

    Affiliated to Yulmok-gun (Bakdal-dong and Seoksu-dong affiliated with Ingbeolno-hyeon)

HISTORY AND ETYMOLOGY

History of Anyang

Although there remains no record of Anyang made in the proto-3 kingdom period and in pre-history, it appears as Yulmok-gun in the historical literature. Yet, a wide range of relics and dolmen from the Bronze Age were found in the investigation of historic sites in Pyeongchon region in 1989, demonstrating that people had lived in the Anyang area for a very long time. After the Bronze Age, the region became part of Mahan during the era of the Proto–Three Kingdoms of Korea, but it was later incorporated into Baekje by King Geunchogo of Baekje (346-375), and then into the southern Goguryeo by King Jangsu of Goguryeo (394-491) along with the area surrounding the Hangang River and the entire area of Gyeonggi-do.

Etymology

Etymology

The name Anyang originates from Anyangsa Temple, which was founded by King Taejo of Goryeo. In the fourth year of King Hyogong of Silla (900), Wang Geon, a successor of Gung Ye, passed by Samseongsan Mountain to conquer areas such as Geumju (Siheung) and Guaju (Gwacheon). At this time, he saw the clouds on the top of the mountain being in five different colors, which he thought to be strange and sent somebody to go investigate the phenomenon. Underneath the clouds, he encountered an old Buddhist monk named Neungjeong, and after having a long conversation with him, Wang Geon realized that the monk displayed the same spirit as himself, and thus built Anyangsa Temple in this place (the area of San 2-beonji, Seoksu-1-dong, Manan-gu).

The name of the Anyang Temple gave birth to the name of Anyang. The character of "An" (安) comes from its use in the word Manangyo Bridge, which was built King Jeongjo of Joseon to commemorate the works of his father (Crown Prince Sado), while the character of "yang" (養) is guessed to had been selected to emphasize the filial duty, the fundamental principle of humankind, to the future generations. In 1941, Seoi-myeon, Siheung-gun was renamed Anyang-myeon. Anyang is a world of paradise where people heal their minds and bodies in Buddhist belief, and this place offers an unrestricted and comfortable utopia only full of joy and happiness without any suffering. In 2010, while excavating the previous Yuyu site at which Dangganjiju of Jungchosa temple was located, inscribed roof tiles of Anyangsa temple were discovered, demonstrating that the site accommodated Junchosa temple during the Unified Silla era and Anyangsa temple during the Goryeo period. In addition, it is regarded as a valuable source of data that allows us to guess the etymology of our city’s name.